1 tightly woven fabric with raised cords
2 a sudden outburst of anger; "his temper sparked like damp firewood" [syn: temper, irritation] v : cause to feel resentment or indignation; "Her tactless remark offended me" [syn: offend]
- A feeling of hurt, vexation, or resentment, awakened by a social slight or injury; irritation of the feelings, as through wounded pride; stinging vexation.
- A remark, usually witty, made in a social situation and intended to slight someone else.
- A cotton fabric, figured in the loom, – used as a dress goods for women and children, and for vestings, etc.
- The jigger.
- Keenly felt desire; a longing.
- In piquet, the right of the elder hand to count thirty in hand, or to play before the adversary counts one.
- To wound the pride of; to sting; to nettle; to irritate; to fret; to offend; to excite to anger.
- To excite to action by causing resentment or jealousy; to stimulate; to prick; as, to pique ambition, or curiosity.
- To pride or value; – used reflexively.
- To cause annoyance or irritation.
to wound the pride of
- German: pikieren
Pique refers to a weaving style, as in "pique cotton", which is characterized by raised parallel cords or fine ribbing (for example, in the collar of a polo shirt or tennis shirt). Twilled cotton (see Twill) or corded cotton are close relatives.
pique in German: Piqué (Gewebeart)
pique in Italian: Piquet
pique in Swedish: piké
affect the interest, aggravate, agitate, angry look, animate, annoy, annoyance, arouse, attract, awaken, badger, bait, be at, bedevil, beset, blow the coals, bother, bristle, brown off, bug, bullyrag, burn up, chafe, chivy, concern, devil, dirty look, discompose, distemper, disturb, dog, dudgeon, embitter, enliven, exasperate, exasperation, excite, excite interest, exercise, exhilarate, fan, fan the flame, fascinate, fash, feed the fire, ferment, fillip, fire, foment, fret, frown, fume, galvanize, get, glare, glower, gripe, harass, harry, heat, heat up, heckle, hector, high dudgeon, hound, huff, ignite, impassion, incense, incite, inflame, infuse life into, instigate, interest, invigorate, invite, involve in, irk, irking, irritate, irritation, jazz up, miff, molest, motivate, move, nag, needle, nettle, nudzh, offense, peeve, persecute, pester, pet, pick on, pick up, plague, pluck the beard, plume, pother, preen, prick, provocation, provoke, punch, put out, put up to, quicken, raise, raise up, rally, rankle, renew, resentment, resuscitate, revive, ride, rile, roil, rouse, ruffle, scowl, set astir, set on, set up, sharpen, sic on, snuff, stew, stimulate, stir, stir the blood, stir the embers, stir up, tantalize, tease, tickle, tiff, titillate, torment, try the patience, turn on, tweak the nose, umbrage, vex, vexation, wake up, waken, whet, whip up, work up, worry